How to Hire A Bath & Basin Resurfacing Specialist Near You?
Bathroom resurfacing requires a level of expertise if you want to restore a bathtub or a porcelain sink successfully. Left in the hands of someone ill-equipped and inexperienced is a disaster waiting to happen.
If you’re looking to do a bathroom remodel, here are some traits to look out for in a bath and basin resurfacing service.
1. Highly trained
Bathroom resurfacing is pretty much an art form. It takes proper skill and a lot of care to restore a tub or basin without damaging it. Find a professional who is trained to do just that.
Sloppy, uneven work will result in a tub or tile that would easily chip and have other issues.
2. Extensive experience
Hire a bath resurfacing specialist who has years of solid experience and a proven track record. You know what kind of work you will get, and you are reassured you will not end up with any surprises.
3. Excellent customer service
Having a stranger come into your home could be uncomfortable. That’s why it’s important to check what past clients say about them. If they are getting excellent reviews, then you can be more confident in hiring them for the job. Always do a background check and make sure you are at ease with your decision.
What is Resurfacing?
Before you decide to spend a lot on an expensive brand new bathtub, why not consider bathroom resurfacing?
Bathroom resurfacing, also referred to as refinishing, reglazing, or re-enamelling is a method where bathroom surfaces are repaired and reglazed without being removed, using a coating system made for use in the bathroom.
Everyday use of the bath and basin can inevitably chip and scratch its surface. These become thin and porous over time and absorb soap, oil, and cleaning agents, leading to chips and cracks.
The refinishing process is an efficient renovation method that can quickly transform a porcelain tub, an enamel sink or even ceramic bath tiles.
There are several reasons why bath and basin resurfacing is a more beneficial solution:
- Saves money – The cost of bath restoration comes out significantly less than having your whole bathtub or sink replaced.
- Minimal downtime – Bath recoating takes less than a day to finish, and you can usually use your bathroom within 24 hours. Replacing your bathtub or basin takes more time — from removal, installation to plumbing work.
- Customizable colour – If you’re feeling a little bored with your bathtub’s off white shade, you can choose to pick a brand new colour. You can even have your tiles match with the same colour as your tub!
- You can keep your existing tub – Older bathtubs have unique features like that of a clawfoot tub. You don’t need to throw it out just because it’s old. You can opt to have your bath resprayed!
Hire a local tradie
Bathtub resurfacing is the process of refinishing the surface of a worn, damaged bathtub to a brand new condition.
The tub refinishing is a multi-step process but can be done in less than 24 hours by a trained specialist.
- First, the existing caulk or sealant is trimmed off and removed to allow resurfacing to extend under the bathroom tiles. The area is dried out before starting any reglazing work.
Next, the tub surface is cleaned, removing grease, residue and other leftover grime.
Then, a process called surface etching is done, enabling the bonding agent to achieve maximum strength.
Chips and cracks are repaired with epoxy; then, the tub area is prepped for treatment.
A bonding agent is then sprayed on the whole tub area.
And finally, three coats of the resurfacing coat are each applied evenly.
After drying and curing, your tub is ready for use within 24 hours.
Basin resurfacing is the process of re-enamelling the vanity sink to give it a new surface. The process is the same as bathtub resurfacing.
Getting Quotes For A Bath and Basin Resurfacing Specialist
Here are some things to consider when getting quotes for a resurfacing specialist:
- Get a breakdown of inclusions so you know exactly what you’re paying for.
Check on their warranty policy in case you need to have the work retouched. You can also read up on consumer rights here.
Ask to see samples of bath respraying or tile reglazing work they’ve done recently to have a better idea of their finished product.
Make sure the products they use are of good quality and safe.
HIREtrades can help you narrow down the search for resurfacing specialists. All you have to do is let us know what you’re looking for, and we will help you get up to three free quotes. Post a job on the HIREtrades app today!