An air conditioner is one of the modern devices that protects the whole family against various health risks and adds comfort at the same time.
If you are planning to purchase one, one of the best options to purchase is a split system air conditioner.
What is a split system air conditioner?
A split system air conditioner is a type of air conditioner that was designed with two parts: an indoor and outdoor unit. The indoor unit contains the evaporator, filter, and fan; while the outdoor contains the compressor, condenser and fan. These two units are connected by copper piping.
This type of air conditioner is considered to be the most effective and is a popular household option. One known reason is that it contains updated components that have been phased out (refrigerant) and has removed all components that are known for being expensive (ductwork) from the traditional air conditioner.
What are the Split System Air Conditioner advantages?
Here are 3 of the most important advantages of a split system air conditioner:
- Easy to install is the first advantage of a split system air conditioner. This becomes easy because the split system air conditioner doesn’t have ductwork like in the traditional air conditioner. The proper way to install this is by placing the outdoor and indoor unit on the proper location with 100 feet distance from each other. Also, make sure that the outdoor unit is installed on a stable base or wall, and not under direct sunlight.
Create a small opening, around 3 inches in diameter for the copper pipes and line wiring to reach each unit. Once everything is set, you can mount the pipes and line wiring to the units and connect it to the electricity. Since this sounds easy, many start to wonder if the installation can be done by themselves?
The answer is no, you can’t. Though the installation process may seem simple, there are still risks involved because of the gas refrigerant which is connected to the split system air conditioner. Only a licensed air conditioner installer can install this.
- The next advantage is the quiet operations of a split system air conditioner. Air conditioners can produce sounds while operating and the sound can be as loud as 34 to 46 decibels. But a split system air conditioner can only produce sounds at 19 decibels. This is only a bit louder from a whisper which has 15 decibels.
- It has a control per zone. The split system air conditioner can cool different areas of your home. All you have to do is identify each part of the house into zones. These zones will have their own thermostat, so, you can easily control which part of it needs more cooling and what’s not. This is the reason a split system air conditioner can save more energy and money.
What are the features to consider when buying a Split System Air Conditioner?
When buying an air conditioner, you need to look at the features to ensure that it is easy to manage and meet your house’s needs. Some of the features that you must look at when buying split system air conditioner are fan speeds, operating modes, human presence sensor, wi-fi and application control, and remote control.
- The fan speed in the split system air conditioner can be changed from automatic mode up to super high speed.
- The operating modes available on split system air conditioner are automatic, cool, dry and heat.
- Built-in Wi-Fi. The wi-fi allows you to control the air conditioner’s air ionisers, motion sensors, and cooling levels.
- Timer. This is the feature that helps you to conserve energy because you can control how long the air conditioner will run.
- Lastly, the split system air conditioner has filters and dehumidifiers which is an advantage if you are living with someone who suffers from allergies and asthma.
Note: The above features may change depending on its’ brand.
You might also read: Using the Best Split System Air Conditioners to Combat Asthma
What are the types of Split System Air Conditioner?
The good advantage of a split system air conditioner is it offers various types of modern solutions just to meet the requirements of each homeowner. Four of the popular choices are the single room split systems, wall mounted split systems, multi-head split systems, and in-ceiling cassette systems.
- The single room split systems air conditioner serves the typical usage of an air conditioner, cool or heat one room. It is also suitable to cool or heat open plan areas with a size of 60 square metre, maximum.
- The wall mounted split systems air conditioner is installed on an external wall and suitable to cool or heat a room that has a size of 50 square metre, maximum.
- The multi-head split systems air conditioner is advantageous for a large-sized house because you can connect two or more indoor units to the outdoor unit. This is a good way to maximise the usage of this air conditioner.
- Lastly, the in-ceiling cassette systems air conditioner. Flexibility on installation is what this type of split system air conditioner offers. If you don’t have access to the external wall, you can install it on the ceiling. This is typically seen on corporate offices, hotels, and restaurants. But it can also fit the needs of a residential property.
What are the disadvantages of a split system air conditioner?
In terms of convenience and flexibility, the split system air conditioner is a great option. But, of course, every electronic device has their limitations or disadvantages. The noticeable disadvantage of a split system air conditioner is its cost.
The average cost of a split system air conditioner may start at $600. This amount can be less if you choose to install a wall mounted split system air conditioner as its’ average cost start at $400. These prices are reasonable. Unfortunately, the bigger the room, the higher the price as well. The average cost of a multi-head split system air conditioner may start from $1,000 for a 60 square metre room.
Despite this disadvantage, the split system air conditioner remains a recommended air conditioner for all types of property. It doesn’t only make the house livable but also protects the quality of air and life inside of it. If you want to learn more about the split system air conditioner, call a professional air conditioning expert and they will answer all other concerns or inquiries you may have.
HIREtrades is a one-stop online marketplace for connecting consumers and businesses, covering 200+ trades and serving all states across Australia. Visit our dedicated Air Conditioning page or Get A Quote by filling out our quick and easy form.