Are you planning to replace your air conditioner? Or, maybe you are planning to buy one for your new apartment?
Yes, getting the right size of air conditioner does matter to prevent experiencing costly problems or inconveniences. These problems affect the comfort of your home, energy bill and the air conditioner itself. To answer your question, ‘what size air conditioner do I need?’, the size of the air conditioner will depend on the size of your apartment. How to determine the size of your apartment?
You can determine the exact size of your apartment by measuring the floor area (overall length and width of the room where you will install your air conditioner). Here’s an estimated size per room and the air conditioner capacity it needs.
The above air conditioning capacity size range may differ because there are other elements that you need to consider. These elements are stated as follows:
- Location’s weather has a huge impact in determining the air conditioner capacity because it affects the performance of the air conditioner. If the air conditioner you installed has a small capacity and the outside temperature of your location is too high or hot, the air conditioner will work harder and will constantly run. If this is done repeatedly, the air conditioner may succumb to tear and wear.
- The height of the room (from floor to ceiling) is an important element to consider because it ensures the normal distribution of air flow.
- Aside from the room’s height, your (homeowner) height is good to consider as well as this will determine the right position of the air conditioner. It is known that the body will only experience a comfortable temperature when the upper part of the body perceives the flow of the air. This is the reason why the air conditioner is always placed in a high area of the room.
- The window’s size is a must-consider if you are planning to install a window air conditioner type. The number of windows and the position where it faces will give you a clear idea of how much heat your apartment will receive during the hot season.
- The number of occupants is a must-consider because they affect the overall heat load of the apartment. You will need a higher cooling load if there are more people living with you in the house.
- Lastly, the level of insulations installed in the room. Insulation can be installed on the floor, walls, and ceilings. The more installation you have at home, the more you won’t need too much heating or cooling because a well-insulated house can maintain temperature.
The other methods that can answer the question ‘what size air conditioner do I need?’ is by, either, using an air conditioning online calculator or seeking professional air conditioning specialist advice.
What are the effects if you install the wrong size of air conditioner?
Damage on the air conditioner is a major effect if you mistakenly install the wrong size of the air conditioner. But the good news about damages or problems is most of it may be resolved if you correct the installation method and the air conditioner’s size. Here is the possible result that you may experience when you install an air conditioner that is:
- Undersized – If you mistakenly installed smaller-sized air conditioner to your apartment, it will end up running for a long time without achieving the desired coolness.
- Oversized – If you mistakenly installed larger-sized air conditioner to your apartment, it will end up not working as effective in removing the moisture from the air. As a result, the air that will surround the house is humid. Also, since the air conditioner is way bigger, it consumes a big amount of power even if it runs for a shorter time.
What size air conditioner do I need and the ideal air conditioner type to use?
Knowing the right size of the air conditioner will give you a greater assurance that you will maximise its usage and benefits. To give you a clear idea on the right size of the air conditioner for your apartment, here are a guide that you can follow, and ideas on what type of air conditioner use.
- For an apartment with 10 or 20 square metre per room, the air conditioner watts it needs is between 2.6 to 2.8 kW. The ideal type of air conditioner that you may use is a small split system or any portable type of air conditioner.
- For an apartment with 20 or 40 square metre per room, the air conditioner watts it needs is between 3.5 to 4.2 kW. The ideal type of air conditioner that you may use is the window air conditioner or split system.
- For an apartment with 60+ square metre per room, the air conditioner watts it needs is between 5.6 to 8 kW. The ideal type of air conditioner that you may use is the split system.
The truth is, there is no magic formula to easily answer the ‘What size air conditioner do I need?’ question. To get the most accurate answer, you will need to undergo thorough research, consider your house’s needs, and a lot of product comparison. If you need help, you can always seek advice to your family or friends who have the same experience as yours, or to an experienced air conditioner specialist.
The latter is the most ideal because an experienced air conditioner specialist can answer the question ‘what size air conditioner do I need?’ accurately, based on thorough inspection of your property. The best part of it, an experienced air conditioner specialist can even advise you on the exact type of air conditioner that is the right fit for you and your property’s needs.
HIREtrades is a one-stop online marketplace for connecting consumers and businesses, covering 200+ trades and serving all states across Australia. Visit our dedicated Air Conditioning page or Get A Quote by filling out our quick and easy form.
Receive up to 3 free quotesPost a job