A new year often symbolises a fresh start. For some homeowners, they will start to embrace this fresh beginning by treating their home to a makeover.
A renovation seems to be the ideal option. But if you are living in an apartment and don’t have much time, it’s best to start with a small project like bathroom resurfacing. How long does bathroom resurfacing last? Knowing the life expectancy is always the main concern of homeowners. During the renovation, replacing old bathroom fixtures such as doors and shower enclosure can ensure it lasts up to 20-50 years. While the toilet, showerheads, and cabinets can last a lifetime with just proper care and maintenance. You probably wonder if this is the same for bathroom resurfacing. The answer is yes, bathroom resurfacing can last long as well.
How long does bathroom resurfacing last?
The average minimum of years that bathroom resurfacing can last is 10 years. But it can last for longer than 15 years with proper care and maintenance. You can expect the same life expectancy for shower resurfacing. While for its finishing, it can last for a maximum of 20 years.
Aside from the question ‘how long does bathroom resurfacing last?’, homeowners also want to know the proper care and maintenance needed for the newly resurfaced bathroom. Cleaning is the common care and maintenance of a newly resurfaced bathroom and here’s the top do’s and don’ts that you can follow and avoid:
- Always use warm water in cleaning newly resurface area.
- Partner the warm water with finish-friendly liquid detergents (e.g. all-purpose liquid dish soap, spray and wipe).
- Apply liquid car wax can help to protect the bathroom fixture’s finished and keep the rust away.
- In cleaning, do not scrub or use force the newly resurfaced areas.
- Do not let acids or nail polish remover get in contact with the bathroom’s finished.
- If you apply liquid car wax, do not wax the bathtub’s bottom or floor as this will make it slippery.
When you start the bathroom, you can expect the process to last between 1 to 2 days. But if you are only going to do a tub or shower resurfacing, you can expect it to be completed 4 hours or less.
To understand more about the process here’s the standard resurfacing process every resurfacing specialist should follow:
- The first step is the preparation which involves thorough cleaning of the whole bathroom areas. If there are cracks or holes, the resurfacing specialist will apply primer coating on it.
- The second step is the covering all appliances and fixtures with masking tapes. This is one good way to protect your appliances and fixtures against dust and sprays.
- The third step is the application of the primer and finishing coat.
- And lastly, once the primer and finishing coat is dry, the resurfacing specialist will apply the finishing touches. You can choose between matte and high gloss satin finish for it.
After the bathroom resurfacing, you need to wait for 4 or more hours before you can use the newly resurfaced bathroom again. The exact time on when you can use it again will be based on the size of the project. Also, it will be determined by the resurfacing specialist who worked on your bathroom.
Resurfacing is recommended to do if you just want to update the look of your fixture and bathroom. Please note that the fixture must only contain minor damages. The heavy damaged fixture is best to replace. Aside from the shower resurfacing, you can also resurface the tiles of floor/wall, tubs, shower recesses, benchtops and others that are made of ceramic, laminates, metals, porcelain and vitreous enamel.
If you want to explore more about the bathroom or shower resurfacing, you can seek advice to a trusted resurfacing specialist. They will not only provide you the answer to the question ‘how long does bathroom resurfacing last?’ exactly, but answer all your concerns.
HIREtrades is a one-stop online marketplace for connecting consumers and businesses, covering 200+ trades and serving all states across Australia. Visit our dedicated Bathroom Renovation page or Get A Quote by filling out our quick and easy form.
Receive up to 3 free quotesPost a job