You’ve probably read or heard advice about how to choose the best house builders. But after following all the advice you may still end up with unreliable house builders.
But don’t worry, there are tons of other ways for you to choose the best house builders in Australia. One of the best ways is by learning from other people’s mistakes and avoid them. Here are the common mistakes that most homeowners experience.
Not doing detailed research
Research is the primary key to find reliable house builders. But there are some homeowners that, unintentionally, fail to do this because they don’t know what exactly to look or ask for. For you to ensure success from your research, here’s a list of the important requirements to look for on house builders:
- Licence – In Australia, house builders are required to acquire proper licences in accordance with their specialisation. Also, they must be registered to their local Building Practitioners Board.
- Insurance – A reliable house builder always provide protection for the homeowners. This protection is given through insurances. Common insurances that house builders provide are the home warranty, building, and content insurances. There may be more types of insurance, but it will depend on your location. It’s ideal to research for all the insurances in your location so you will know what exactly to ask or look for.
- Specialisation – To avoid disappointment due to choosing the wrong house builders, you must research if they specialise in the job you need. This will guarantee you great and effective results at the end of the project.
- Reviews and Ratings – To have a clear idea about their professionalism, you need to research their past clients. It’s ideal to read all of it. But if you don’t have the time, you can always check the following:
- How the house builders treat their clients during the job?
- How often the house builders communicate with their clients?
- Are they easy to call or talk to?
- Reputation – A reliable house builder never compromises quality.
Accepting house builders with unrealistic construction time-frames
House construction, in some cases, can take years before it reaches full completion. That is why every homeowner is delighted when their house builders suddenly gives them a shorter time-frame.
The timeframe of the house construction lies on the scope and size of the house construction project. If your project is a big one and the house builders still give you shorter time-frame, give yourself a moment to research first before agreeing. You must research about the approximate time-frames of each job such as:
- Pre-Construction Stage: One month or more
- Lot Preparation and foundation: 3 weeks to 1 month
- Framing Stage: 1 week to 2 months
- Plumbing, Electrical and Siding Installation: 2 weeks to 1 month
- Finishing (Interior): 2 weeks to 2 months
- Finishing Touches: 2 weeks or more, depends on the furniture to be installed
Another good indication that your house builders are reliable, they allocate time-frames for errors or other unforeseen circumstances (e.g. weather and additional job).
Not understanding the technical terminologies
During the house construction, you can expect to hear tons of different terminologies used by the house builders. Some you may know but for most of them, it’s best to research it. This is useful as you can guarantee yourself that you will not agree to a job that you don’t need or pay a service that they don’t perform.
Not getting everything in writing
Contracts are very important as this protects the interest of both parties – homeowners and home builders. But there are some instances where house builders decides to perform the job without creating another contract. This usually happens for additional jobs caused by unforeseen circumstances.
If your house builders propose to do this, don’t allow it. You must insist to create a new contract to document the services they about to render, materials to use and its accurate cost. This will give you additional assurance that you will get what you need or ask for.
Allowing house builders to begin the work before the plans are finalised
This is a big no in house construction mainly because this promotes delays. Delays can slow down the construction process. Not to mention the additional cost the homeowners may shoulder. To avoid experiencing all these, you should always wait for the plan to finish before you allow the house builders to begin the work.
Settling for less
Finding the best house builders can be stressful at times – endless research, long wait for callbacks that eventually never happen and so on. There are some homeowners who get tired and just hire the next house builder they will see. This is the most must-avoid!
Your house is one of the greatest investments in your life. So, you must ensure that you will get the house you dream of using materials with the highest quality. Also, you must always aim to get your money’s worth. Hire only the house builders that you like, trust and who can keep a promise.
HIREtrades is a one-stop online marketplace for connecting consumers and businesses, covering 200+ trades and serving all states across Australia. Visit our dedicated Builder page or Get A Quote by filling out our quick and easy form.