Decking is the best solution for homeowners who want to improve their home’s functionality. It’s a versatile place where they can host Sunday barbecues with friends, family and also provides a relaxation sanctuary.
Decking designs and layouts are key for your decking to be functional and beautiful at the same time. If you have no ideas in mind, here are four decking designs to take inspiration from.
The Lake House Decking Designs
Having a drink while enjoying the peaceful view of the lake is a dream come true for many. But this is within reach if you have decking on your lake house.
There are numerous decking designs for the lake house. One idea is to build a straight wooden platform, glass railings for safety barriers and place a pool at the end of it for an infinity pool effect. Since the lake house is all about nature, one of the best furniture to add on this decking design are any of the following:
- A rounded wooden daybed with cushion
- Woven ledge lounger
- Wood made bongo low tables with a matt or glossy lacquer finishing
If you don’t have any space in your backyard, you can place this decking design on the roof.
Other decking designs that you might possibly want to have is the second-floor wood decking. This too is an outdoor decking design with an overlooking view of the lake and mountains (if there’s any). This design consists of wood materials – flooring, hand railings, and coffee tables. This is an ideal decking option if your goal is to find inner peace while enjoying the view of nature.
Enchanted Decking Designs
There are some people who want to add a little magic in their life. If you are one of them, the best decking designs you can have is the enchanted type. You can do this by building a custom-made pergola. Design the four columns of the pergola with Roman-inspired white pillars, while make the heading material pure dark wood.
For the decorations, you can surround the whole pergola with colourful flowers or hang some pots around it. If you are living in cold weather, you can place a fireplace in the middle front of the pergola. Use rustic-coloured stones to match the theme. If not, you can replace the fireplace with a brick barbecue grill with chimney.
This design will never be complete without enchanted-themed furniture like the branch-base table, forest-floor rugs, and wicker cushions.
Greece-Inspired Decking Designs
Greece is well-known for their gorgeous all-white housing structure. You can re-create this at your home by building a concrete all-white deck with shade. At the main lounging area, you can place a light-coloured wooden table on it, and white and light brown pillows to serve as a cushion on the concrete bench.
Does it sound too simple? You can level up this decking design by building a huge semi-circular pergola made of neutral or bluish-coloured concrete (floor and ceiling) and natural limestone for the columns. You can either place a swimming pool under the pergola or comfortable seating cushion and tables. For an added decorative accent, you can add a white sheer fabric or lace for curtains.
Modern Day Decking Designs
Modern-day decking designs are the most popular choice of homeowners, especially to those who live in the city. There are multiple ways to design this and some of them are described below:
- Rounded Rectangle Deck – This decking design is made with a dark hardwood such as redwood. Since the main structure of this deck looks amazing, you can only place simple decorations like a bean bag, few colourful pillows, and ambient lighting fixtures.
- Extension Deck – Decking’s purpose is not only to add new space. It can also extend an existing area of your home. One of the areas in the house that is wise to extend is the kitchen. This is because the food is always present on any occasion. Once you extend this, you will have more time chatting with your friends than standing up just to refill the beverages or food.
- Multi-Layered Deck – Holding a party can be stressful at times because you need to ensure that everyone is enjoying, all at the same time. The best way to organise your party is by building a multi-layered deck. Each layer of the deck has a specific function: bar, kitchen or barbecue grill section, lounge, and swimming area. The main keys to pull this off successfully are by keeping the layers with the same design and tie them together with an accessible stairway or footpath.
- Movie Theater Deck – The usual bonding activity of families is watching a movie. Instead of going to the mall, you can do this bonding activity at home by building a movie theater deck. The flooring is made with light-coloured wood with built-in panels on the floor that can raise upward to serve as a headrest. You can lower it down whenever you are done. This decking design can both be placed indoor and outdoor.
HIREtrades is a one-stop online marketplace for connecting consumers and businesses, covering 200+ trades and serving all states across Australia. Visit our dedicated Decking page or Get A Quote by filling out our quick and easy form.
Receive up to 3 free quotesPost a job