When homeowners decide to renovate their decking, decking prices is one of the first things that comes to mind. Most homeowners believe a decking renovation will cost them a fortune.
But the truth is, decking prices can be affordable by planning your budget carefully. You can do this by knowing your limits first.
How much are you willing to spend on the decking renovation? Asking yourself this question is helpful in coming up with a good budget range. Here are some common budget ranges:
- $500 to $2,000 – Common budget for small-sized decking renovation projects with a minimum deck dimension of 15 ft. x 15ft.
- $3,000-$5,000 – Common budget for medium-sized decking renovation projects with an average deck size of 100 square metres.
- $10,000 and up – For large-sized decking renovations or new deck construction project with an average deck size of 400 square metres.
Upon knowing your budget limits, you can then consider three main factors for deck renovation/construction: decking style, materials, and labour. Decking style is the first one to consider because here you will determine the best materials to use and their respective pricing range. The three favourite decking styles are described below:
A pool deck is an exciting option especially for homeowners with children. This will encourage the children to go out and have fun under the sun. The average decking prices for this may range from $6,400 up to $20,000. It may appear that only homeowners with a big budget can build a pool deck but this isn’t the case!
You can still have a pool deck if you choose your own materials. The best materials to use on this pool decking with their individual prices are the following:
- Merbau: $3.96 (70 x 19mm), $6.60 (90 x 19mm), $9.80 (140 x 19mm)
- Fibre Cement: $106 (1,800 x 900 x 15mm) – $250 (2,400 x 1,200 x 18mm)
- Composite Materials: $110 and $125 per square metre
Photo Courtesy of Francesco Ungaro via Pexels
Not all decks need to be attached to the house. You can choose a self-supporting deck as well, like the freestanding deck. This style of deck is a great option for installing an above the ground pool. The average decking prices for this may range from $2,000 to $7,000. But if you want to manage more of your budget, you can use the following materials to use on this deck:
- Pressure-treated lumber: $5.30 to $7.10 per board (2′ x 6′ x 8′)
- Composite decking planks: $7.82 (Polyethylene), $8.68 (Polypropylene) and $7.50 – $9.48 (Polyvinyl Chloride)
- Redwood: $1.70 (1.5” x 3.5”), $3.75 (1.5” x 7.5”), $5.25 (1.5” x 11.5”), $75 or more (16’x20′)
Ground Floor Deck
Photo Courtesy of Annie Spratt via Unsplash
Ground floor deck is the common choice of most homeowners because it is the easiest deck to build or renovate. It doesn’t require the need to install railings and ladders. The decking prices for this style is $1,800 for repair/renovation or $8,000 for constructing from scratch.
If you want to design your own deck, you can use the following materials for ground floor decks:
- Cedar: $3.89 (minimum budget), $6.59 (mid-ranged budget), $7.70 (maximum budget) per lineal foot
- Solid Karri: $71.50 (80 x 19mm), $69 (130 x 19mm)
- Stringybark: $3.87 (65 x 19mm), $7.35 (86 x 19mm) per lineal meter
Last to consider on your budget is the contractor’s labour rates. The labour rates of each contractor will vary with the services rendered. Here are the possible contractors that you will hire on your renovation/construction project:
- The labour rates of deck builders ranges from $35.27 (average) to $160 (experienced) per hour.
- Swimming pool installer’s labour rates ranges from $26.18 (average).
- A general carpenter’s labour rates range from $29.48 to $42 per hour.
- A painter’s labour rates range from $18 (average) to $37.26 (experienced).
- The labour cost for a deck staining/sealing job ranges from $540 (average) to $1,050 (experienced) per 500 square feet.
*Please note that all labour costs above may change according to your location.
Decking prices are good to consider for you to have a clear picture of how much you are going to spend. But always remember that decking prices are only a guide, quality should remain your top priority. Simply because a strong deck is a good investment that will benefit your family and house value as well.
Featured Photo Courtesy of Burst via Pexels
HIREtrades is a one-stop online marketplace for connecting consumers and businesses, covering 200+ trades and serving all states across Australia. Visit our dedicated Decking page or Get A Quote by filling out our quick and easy form.
Receive up to 3 free quotesPost a job