How Much Does an Electrician Cost?
Electricians’ costs are divided into two parts: call out fee and service performed. For the call out fee, the average cost that electricians’ charge their clients is around $30 (basic jobs) or $50+ (complex jobs). While for the service performed, the average cost that electricians’ charges are $70 – $90 (per hour) or $80 – $130 (fixed rate).
An electrician is the most popular trade job of 2018. If you are wondering if this affects their cost, the answer is no. The cost that electricians’ charge their clients are based on the service they perform and its’ complexity level, location, and their experience level.
How Much Does an Electrician Cost per services?
Electricians offer numerous services, but the most common services that electricians perform are rewiring, new installations, and testing and tagging. Each service’s cost will depend on the complexity level of the problem. Here’s a list of the most common services that electricians perform with their respective cost range.
Rewiring jobs can be classified as a “basic job” if the work involves certain devices only (e.g. light fixture, switches or power outlets). The average cost for basic rewiring jobs ranges from $65 up to $750.
For complex rewiring jobs, the scope of work involves replacing and installing new wires for older properties, opening walls, or any wiring jobs to large-sized houses. The average cost for complex rewiring jobs ranges from $3,500 (250 sqm.) to $30,000.
Note: The number and house size will affect the cost of this job as well.
- New Installations
Installing new device, systems, switches and power outlet is always a good way to improve the house functionality, comfortability, and safety. The average cost that electricians’ charges for installations are the following:
- Light Fixture costs $35 to $100
- Power outlet costs $60 to $800
- Electrical panel costs $1,500 to $4,000
- Ceiling fan costs $70 to $800 (the ceiling fan fixture provided by the Electrician and require new wiring)
- Test and Tagging
Test and tagging are the electricians’ process to inspect the safety of electrical equipment. The average cost that electricians’ charge for test and tagging are $6 to $8.50 per single phase (fixed rate) + call out fee.
How Much Does an Electrician Cost per location?
The average cost that electricians’ charge per hour is $70 – $90. But this may change depending on your location. If you are living in the following States or Territories, here’s the electrician’s approximate average cost per hour:
- In New South Wales (NSW), you can expect to pay around $70.
- In South Australia (SA) and Queensland (Qld), you can expect to pay around $75.
- In Victoria (Vic), calling an Electrician is cost-effective as this is the location that offers low cost for an electrician. You can expect to pay around $69.
- If Victoria has the lowest cost for Electrician, Western Australia (WA) has the most expensive cost. You can expect to pay $85 or more.
- Lastly, in Australian Capital Territory (ACT) you can expect to pay around $78.
Note: The cost of electricians may increase or decrease depending on their experience level.
How Much Does an Electrician Cost per experience level?
The easier way to identify the electricians’ experience level is by knowing their job level – apprentice, Journeyman, and Master.
- The apprentice is the entry-level position of an Electrician and has up to 5 years of experience. Their scope of work is limited, and they always need to be supervised by an experienced Journeyman. The apprentice cost starts from $15.06 to $23.11.
- The Journeyman is an Electrician that can perform a job without limitation or supervision. They commonly have 5 to 10 years of experience. The Journeyman cost starts from $22 to $32.
- The Master is the electricians’ licence that has up to 20 years of experience and can handle complex jobs. The Master Electrician cost starts from $35 to $100.
Electrical works are complex and can be dangerous. The only way to ensure that the problem will be solved properly and safely is to hire a licenced Electrician.
Compare Prices of Electricians
HIREtrades helps you to acquire 3 FREE quotes from Electricians all over Australia. Use our directory to compare prices and to find the cheapest yet professional Electrician near you:
HIREtrades is a one-stop online marketplace for connecting consumers and businesses, covering 200+ trades and serving all states across Australia. Visit our dedicated Electricians page or Get A Quote by filling out our quick and easy form.