Everyone loves gardening. But some people, especially those who live in the city, may not have the option to due to limited real estate.
One good thing about gardening is you can do it anywhere. Thorough planning is the key to success and if you plan to get your fingers green, we have five gardening tips that can help you along the way.
1. Start small
The thought of having your very own garden is exciting! You have lots of ideas and you want to implement them all at once. To avoid mistakes from the offset, it’s advisable to follow one of the most practical gardening tips and that is to start small.
By starting a small garden, there’s only one question you need to ask yourself and that is: How many plants you think you can manage? Following this rule will help you save time and money.
2. Do your research
Another of the gardening tips will be to research the plants you want to grow. You will never have a problem with choices because there is a wide variety of plants selection.
But for someone living with limited space and a busy lifestyle, it’s advisable to choose low-maintenance or adaptable plants. These are the types of plants that are easy to grow and can survive with minimal care.
Here are the three common plants that you can add on your garden:
- Tomatoes — If you choose to plant fruits, tomatoes are one of the best options. This is because tomatoes can grow in small pots. You only need to water it generously for the first few days. But when it grows, you only need to water it in the morning.
- Rosemary — Growing your own ingredients is the main goal of most gardening enthusiasts. If you are one of those people, you can choose Rosemary. Rosemary has a wide variety of choices, it’s best to choose a Rosemary that grows in an upright position rather than the crawling type. That type is more manageable than the crawling type. Also, Rosemary only needs a small amount of water.
- Rhapsody Blue Hydrangea — If the main reason you do gardening is to beautify your space, you can always pick a flowery plant like Rhapsody Blue Hydrangea. This flower may produce pink, blue or dark purple flowers. The colours of the flower will vary on the type of soil you used to plant it. It can grow up to 3 inches tall.
Once you know what plants to grow, you must research the type of soil and fertilisers it needs. This is one of the most important gardening tips because this will ensure that your plants will receive all the nutrients it needs to grow.
3. Pick a good location
Most people who live in an apartment decided to grow their garden on the patio. This is to ensure their plants will receive sun exposure. If you don’t have a patio, other areas of your house where you can grow your garden include the kitchen, living space, or entryway.
A little tip: If you are planning to plant herbs, the kitchen will be your best option for convenience purposes. So, whenever you will need it for your recipe you can easily reach for it.
4. Choose your Containers
Now that you have a clear plan for your garden, the last of the gardening tips is to look for pots. You don’t have to look elsewhere just to find the right pots for your plants. You can always find it in your home.
Here are the common items that you can find in your home which you can transform as pots:
- Tin Containers — If you have used paint containers or canned fruit lying around your house, don’t throw it away! You can re-purpose those containers into usable pots. You can do this by washing it and when it dries out, you can either paint the exterior or cover it with beautiful wrappers. Once you place your plants in it, you can line it up neatly on the floor, kitchen counter or nail it on the wall.
- Plastic Bottles/Gallon — Another item that is always present in the house is plastic bottles (e.g. soda and milk gallon). Since plastic is non-biodegradable, it’s best to turn it into something useful rather than throwing it away. One good way to re-use plastic containers is by re-purposing them into plant pots. You can do this by cutting the top off (horizontally).
- Rain Boots — Rain boots are not only made for walking in the rain or flood. It can also be a good pot for your plant. Its beauty also adds a rustic appeal for your apartment’s ambiance.
Bonus gardening tips: Don’t forget to have fun! Gardening is a fun activity to do so, the best thing you can do in these situations is to relax and enjoy the experience. If you notice something wrong or different from what you expect, you can always seek professional advice.
HIREtrades is a one-stop online marketplace for connecting consumers and businesses, covering 200+ trades and serving all states across Australia. Visit our dedicated Garden Maintenance page or Get A Quote by filling out our quick and easy form.