The key to a fruitful harvest lies on the time you planted it. Just like in any other fruits and vegetables, tomatoes have its best time to plant. The only question is when to plant tomatoes in the spring season?
If you want to ensure that you have a good harvest, here are 3 easy ways for you to determine when to plant tomatoes in the spring season.
Location is very important to consider when planting tomatoes because each place has different conditions including soil temperatures. Tomatoes can grow in well-drained soil between 16°C and 35°C. There are even some types of tomatoes that require an acidic soil pH.
If you grow tomatoes out of the temperature range soil condition, it may take longer to ripen or it may not bloom at all. To ensure you’ll harvest it on time, here is the best time to plant tomatoes for each territory/state:
- In Western and Southern territories, the best time to plant tomatoes is in the month of August. You can expect to harvest it at the end of March.
- In the Northern Territory, the best time to plant tomatoes is in the month of October. But you can also plant tomatoes during the month of May.
- Southeast Queensland is the best place to plant tomatoes because you can do it all year round. You can expect to harvest it after 12 weeks, approximately.
- Lastly, if you’re living on the Capital Territory you can plant tomatoes at the end of September and harvest it at the end of March.
Another factor to take into account when asking yourself when to plant tomatoes in the spring season is the weather.
Tomatoes need enough water and sunlight to bloom perfectly. Normally, tomatoes require at least 8 hours of sun exposure. But if you live in the Northern Territory, your tomato plant must be exposed to sunlight for at least 6 hours. If you are staying in the Southern Territory, your tomato plant must only be exposed to light afternoon shade.
3. Plant indoors or outdoors?
Tomatoes become a popular fruit to plant during spring because of its flexibility. You can grow it either inside of your home or outside. Indoor planting is recommended during the earlier days of spring and the beginning of summer. This is to ensure that it will neither freeze nor wither immediately. You can plant it either on a tray or large pots.
The proper way to plant tomatoes in large pots:
- Choose a pot that has holes in the bottom. If you can’t find one, you can simply put holes in it yourself by using a drill.
- Mix the well-drained soil with a high-quality potting mix. After mixing, put it in the pots.
- You can only plant one tomato plant per pot.
- Always keep it hydrated and expose to sun for at least 6 to 8 hours a day.
The proper way to plant tomatoes in trays:
- Place the mixture of well-drained soil and high-quality potting mix on the tray.
- Dig up some holes in the soil. The depth of each hole is at least 3X the diameter of the seed; while space in between each hole is between 40 cm.
- Scatter the seed.
- Always keep it hydrated and exposed to sun for at least 6 to 8 hours a day.
- Once the tomato plant reaches 3 to 4 inches tall, you can transfer it to your garden or to a bigger pot.
Outdoor planting is recommended during the spring and summer seasons. Planting tomatoes in garden plots require more attention than in pots. Here are the proper ways to plant tomatoes in garden plots:
- Maintain 2 feet distance apart from each plant.
- Place either a stick beside the plant to stay in upright position or a cage.
- Keep the soil hydrated and moist all the time.
- Check the plant daily to ensure it will not wither due to hot weather.
- Keep it fertilised every 4 weeks.
After determining when to plant tomatoes in the spring season, the next thing you must know is how to maintain it. Garden maintenance is a must especially for tomato plants because it can grow as tall as 19.8 metres, depending on the type of tomato you planted. So you always need to trim, water and protect it from all types of pests to ensure good health.
HIREtrades can help you find the right professional gardening service to help you maintain your tomato garden and answer your other garden maintenance needs and concerns.
HIREtrades is a one-stop online marketplace for connecting consumers and businesses, covering 200+ trades and serving all states across Australia. Visit our dedicated Garden Maintenance page or Get A Quote by filling out our quick and easy form.