There will always be some form of jobs to do around the house, be it a repair or an upgrade. If one isn’t able to down the DIY route then the next best option would be to source a local handyman.
A local handyman has a wide skillset. So, no matter the size or type of the job, you can assure that they are the best people to attend to the job. Here are some of the household jobs that a local handyman can do for you.
Shower Base Repair
One of the most common household fixtures is the shower. Some people believe that this job is only for a professional plumber. But the truth is, you can entrust this job to a local handyman as long as the problem lies on the shower base.
You will know if the shower base needs repair if you see any of these signs: cracks, broken tiles, tiles need re-grouting and leaks.
Door and Window Repair
The doors and windows are one of the main features of the house. It provides security to the whole family, not to mention a direct entryway of fresh air and light. This is the reason it’s a must to keep it in good shape at all times.
The common problems that every homeowner experiences with their doors and windows are: gaps, doors sticking, moisture and air seeping through. If you find any of these, you can call a local handyman to do the job for you.
Lock repairs seem to be a simple task and with the help of online resources, you can do it yourself. Instead, it’s advisable to call a local handyman. This is to avoid making the problem worse that may lead to an expensive replacement.
You will know if the lock needs repair or replacement when they show any of these signs: it doesn’t latch, loose knobs, the deadbolt is stuck, and the key won’t insert.
Having a good fence is a must in every home. This is because it serves asadded protection against wild animals and burglars while providing the privacy your family needs. If you decide to repair or upgrade your fence, you can always call your local handyman and tell them your preferred materials to use.
Here are 5 types of material that you can choose from:
- Aluminum – This material is one of the most popular choices of material for a fence because it’s durable, lightweight and can resist corrosion.
- Bamboo – If you want to transform your front yard into a paradise, you can choose bamboo for your fence. It’s environmentally-friendly and easy to install. The only downside of this is it is high maintenance because and can rot over time.
- Chain Link – This type of fence is commonly seen in sports’ venues, but it can also use as a house fence especially if you have pet’s area around the garden. This fence is durable and can last for a long time. The only downside of this fence is you should add a privacy feature.
- PVC – If you want a low maintenance option and a child-friendly fence, your best option is a PVC fence. The only downside of this fence is it’s prone to damages when it has been exposed to cold temperatures for too long.
- Wood – Aside from Aluminium, another popular option of materials is wood. This material is admired by many because of its natural appearance. The only downside of this is it can rot and be infested by pests. To avoid this setback, you must maintain it regularly.
Painting your walls doesn’t only brighten up the house but also boosts its overall value. You will know if your walls need repainting if it shows any of the following signs:
- Blistering is the bubbles formed under the paint. The possible cause of these include direct exposure of heat or sunlight, the paint has been applied while the wall is still wet, and the wall has not been prepared properly before painting.
- Peeling is commonly caused by water or moist exposure. If this happens, it’s better to ask the local handyman to check your roof for leaks and the surrounding areas as well. This is to stop the main cause of moist. So, when the local handyman repaints the wall, it will last for a long time.
- Sagging is the type of paint problem that is caused by applying too much thinner, it has been painted in a cold environment, or the wall surface has a glossy texture and the painter forgot to apply primer first.
Keeping the house in good condition is the top priority of every homeowner. And this is possible to achieve if you invest in a good local handyman. You will know if the local handyman is a good choice if he/she has the right skill, licence, experience and tools to do the job.
HIREtrades is a one-stop online marketplace for connecting consumers and businesses, covering 200+ trades and serving all states across Australia. Visit our dedicated Handyman page or Get A Quote by filling out our quick and easy form.