Interior design is very popular because it is an effective way of updating the appearance of the house. This is great for boosting your property’s value but not everyone fully understands what interior design is all about.
What is interior design? Interior design is the art and science of improving a house interior to make it more aesthetically appealing and, at the same time, comfortable to live in. It has four basic concepts: style, colour, patterns, and texture.
What is interior design style?
When talking about interior design, style is one of the first considerations to take into account when attempting to achieve the desired ambience. There’s a pool of style options and three of them are described below:
Photo Courtesy of Douglas Sheppard via Unsplash
In this modern day and age, people still prefer options that express a cozy and timeless feeling. This is the reason traditional interior design is still popular. If you are wondering what is interior design and decoration to consider for traditional style, here are the guides you can follow:
- For the living room, the furniture must be arranged on a straight alignment. This means that the couch should directly be placed or face perpendicular to the fireplace or television set.
- For the dining room, the common design is a hardwood floor, corner cabinets that showcases silverware and chinaware. The table should be rectangular-shaped while the chairs should be uniformly placed around the edge with a lovely tablecloth on top.
- For the window accessories, a classic style of draperies and thin shutters will do.
- For the lighting fixtures, wall sconces and lamps with plain or white shades are the best options.
- Lastly, since traditional style is inspired by European décor (around the 18th to 19th century), other accessories you can add are classic art pieces and antiques.
Shabby Chic Style
Photo Courtesy of Toa Heftiba via Unsplash
For those looking for a casual interior design style, shabby chic is the most recommended. Shabby chic is the interior design style that uses vintage accessories, pastel colours, and antique décor. Wondering what is interior design and decoration to include for shabby chic style? Here’s a list of elements that you can choose from:
- For the living room, add overstuffed furniture and cover it with a handmade soft slipcover. The slipcover commonly has a plain white design or softly distressed prints.
- For the bedroom, place a straight chair at the side of the bed and make it a side table. Put a flower vase as well to add colour and fresh element to the room. You can also place a custom-made throw on the bed, either neatly or on the side will work fine.
- For the accessories, the ideal options are glass doorknobs, rustic metal sign, wrought iron, wooden racks, and rusted iron shelves.
- The furniture that can complement the shabby chic style is items with eclectic style and mixes it with any of the following: pastel colours, antique elements, floral or lace. A rusty finishing is also a great touch, but make sure the rust is not peeling off.
Modern Victorian Style
Photo Courtesy of Michael D Beckwith via Unsplash
The modern Victorian style is a great option for couples as this conveys a romantic ambience. But you must be mindful in decorating this style because this has the tendency to look too feminine. To ensure you will maintain the balance of the space, here are few guides that you can follow:
- For the room design, it may seem tricky at first to find the perfect balance between the elegance of the Victorian era and modern aesthetics. But it is possible by mixing and matching the right elements. Take the bed, for example, you can choose a vintage bed frame and match it with blankets and a pillowcase that has a modern look.
- For the décor, chandeliers and any items with crystal element are perfect for this style. Just keep the sizes in the balance as well, if you chose a large-sized fixture to make sure others are in small to average size.
- Add an electric fireplace. This may sound too modern, but it’s more convenient to use. This is a great addition because the fireplace is an effective element that conveys romantic appeal.
Related Article: Why you need an interior decorator for your home?
Every time the question ‘what is interior design?’ pops in a conversation, everyone will start with colours. Colour is important in interior design. Unfortunately, choosing the wrong combination or colour shade can make or break a space. To ensure you are on the right track, here are the colours that fit for the following interior design styles:
The colours in this style are neutral to mid-range colour tones. This is to ensure that the colours of the artworks and furniture will pop. But this doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t add colours in darker tones. You can just avoid neon or any loud colour combination because this will ruin the mood you set for the room. The darker tones you can add are any of the following: brown, green and red.
Shabby Chic Style
Shabby Chic is a mix of vintage furniture, the best colour to add with this is soft pastel shades like cream, white, faded green and pale pink. Other colours you can add is grey but you can choose the softer shades.
Modern Victorian colours have a similarity with shabby chic style – soft colours. But this will contradict with the Victorian style which has more darker tones such as blue, brown and red. You can still choose those colour tones just make sure you will mix and match it with soft pale colours to keep it look fresh.
But for designers, the most effective colour tones are cream, lilac, grey, mauve, and pink.
What is interior design in terms of Patterns and Texture?
When you talk about patterns, the texture will always come next as these two elements are related to one another. The texture is the materials’ surface quality; while patterns refer to graphic perception of the interior design.
- The best patterns for traditional style are damask, florals, geometrics, muted plaids, paisleys, understated stripes, and other symmetrical lines. This pattern is both good for wallpapers or design, furniture, and curtains. While for the texture, you can add fur rugs on the floor, stone-made fireplace and carved wooden furniture.
Please do remember that when choosing fabrics, you should never choose anything with a different texture in one piece or fabrics which are too shiny.
- The best patterns for Shabby Chic style are plaids, stripes, and floral. One good advantage of this style is you can combine different patterns in one piece. But you must make sure to keep the same background colour for each pattern.
For the texture, you can add handmade fabrics such as crochet, lace, or linen.
- The best pattern for modern Victorian style is large-sized botanical and floral design. You can incorporate this on the walls, stairs, and furniture. But take note that you can only apply it once in the room and everything else need to be in a plain design. This is to prevent your room look messy.
While for the texture, the best elements to add are anything with soft and luxurious feels such as velvet and silk.
Featured Photo Courtesy of StockSnap via Pixabay
HIREtrades is a one-stop online marketplace for connecting consumers and businesses, covering 200+ trades and serving all states across Australia. Visit our dedicated Interior Designer page or Get A Quote by filling out our quick and easy form.
Receive up to 3 free quotesPost a job