The installation of floating floors cost between $40 to $50 per square metre, however, price may change depending on your location and the type of materials you prefer.
More durable materials are expensive but can be beneficial since they can last longer. Durable floating floors can also save you time because they require less maintenance than floating floors that easily get scratched or damaged.
This estimate includes the cost of underlay, and you can lower the cost by going for cheaper underlays. However, it is crucial to have quality underlays because they act as insulation and sound dampeners for your floor.
Average Cost for Hiring a Floor Installer
The cost of hiring a floor installer comprises the bulk of the floating floor installation cost. Labour rates differ depending on your location, so don’t expect to pay the same rate with a friend who lives in another cities.
- If you are in New South Wales and thinking of a home improvement project by installing a floating floor, expect to pay a floor installer between $30 to $35 per square metre.
- In Queensland, flooring labour costs between $28 to $32 per square metre. This is slightly more expensive than Victoria, where the average is between $26 to $29 per square metre.
- For Melbourne residents, hiring a floor installer costs between $28 to $32 per square metre, depending on the job’s complexity.
- In Sydney, expect to pay between $29 to $32 per square metre for the services of a professional floor installer.
Looking for Floating Floor Installation Service?Post a job
Price Estimates for the Types of Floating Floorboards
Aside from labour costs, the cost of floorboards is another item that drives floating floor installation cost, and it will be up to you to decide what type of floating floor you want to use.
Before you decide what type of floating floor to use, here’s a closer look at the different types of floating floorboards and how you can benefit from each type.
Depending on the type, timber flooring costs between $25 to $100 per square metre, depending on the type of timber. Solid timber is the most expensive type but is also the most durable.
Timber flooring is stronger and more resistant to scratches than other types of floating floors so expect them to last longer.
Its low maintenance requirements also offset the cost of floating timber flooring installation. Wood floors are easy to clean and healthier because they won’t trap dust, allergens, or dirt.
The cost to install laminate flooring will depend on the thickness of the laminate material you will use. Laminate flooring costs between $18 to $45 per square metre.
Just like timber flooring, laminate flooring is highly durable. It can resist impact and scratches, making it a cost-effective option for homeowners who have pets like cats or dogs.
If you live in an area frequented by extreme weather conditions or have young children, waterproof laminate flooring is an excellent option. Waterproof laminate flooring prices start at around $40 per square metre.
Vinyl flooring costs between $30 to $45 per square metre, but some high-quality vinyl planks can cost up to $100 per square metre.
Vinyl flooring is ideal for common areas because vinyl can withstand heavy foot traffic without sustaining damage. Vinyl flooring is also comfortable to walk on and it helps reduce noise.
The cost to install engineered floors is between $40 to $100 per square metre for the materials alone and can reach up to $150 per square metre if you add labour costs and other materials.
Engineered wood flooring looks like natural wood but is often cheaper. They are great for different flooring projects because they come in several finishes, grades, and sizes.
A bamboo floor may cost between $17 and $23 per square foot. Bamboo floors are affordable alternatives to laminate and vinyl flooring.
Bamboo flooring is a sustainable and environment-friendly option for homeowners. They are as durable but less expensive than timber flooring.
Flooring underlayment is the material that sits between the subfloor and the floating floor. An underlay serves as a sound dampener and acts as a cushion to make a floor softer to walk on.
Underlay can also act as a layer of insulation and may help reduce the wear on your flooring. In some instances, an underlay can act as a moisture barrier for your floor.
An underlay costs between $.20 to $.50 per square metre.
Hire Floating Floor Installer Now!Post a job
What Affects the Cost of Floating Floor Installation?
Aside from floating floorboards cost per metre, other factors can influence a floating floor installation cost.
Here are some things you need to consider in estimating the cost of flooring in Australia.
- Type – the type of floating floor will influence the total cost of your floating floor project because, as mentioned earlier, flooring materials have different prices so expect to shell out more for better materials.
- Size of Project – needless to say, a large flooring project will use more materials and will take longer to complete, which is why large projects will cost you more. However, you might be able to negotiate with installers because they often offer better rates for larger projects.
- The Complexity of The Job – complex jobs require more skills and are harder to execute, so they are often more expensive. For complex installations, you might want to hire more experienced installers who also charged more than those with less experience.
- Location – your location also plays a role in estimating the cost of your floor installation, as evident with the difference in labour rates per area.
- There is also a difference in the prices of materials depending on your location so expect timber laminate flooring prices to be different from one city to another.
- Underlay – as mentioned earlier, an underlay plays a vital role in floor installations and can affect the cost of a floor installation project. If you already have an underlay, it won’t factor into the cost of your finished flooring.
- If you need the tradie to install subfloors, you need to include the underlay and labour cost in your estimates.
Getting Quotes for Floating Flooring Installation
If you want to hire the best floor installation experts, the easiest way to do it is by using HIREtrades. HIREtrades can help connect you to local floor installers who can help you have a fantastic floating floor.
What is excellent with HIREtrades is you can request a prospective tradie for a quote on how much the project might cost you. You can also ask the tradie about the cost to install a plywood subfloor.
You can compare prices by asking for a quote for a hybrid flooring cost and comparing prices with another tradie. You can also ask for references or pictures of previous projects so you can gauge the expertise of your prospective tradie.
If you want to make sure that you are hiring the best yet affordable floor installation expert, let HIREtrades help you. Start your floor installation project right by posting a job on HIREtrades.
Receive up to 3 free quotesPost a job