Flyscreens are essential to every home. Flyscreen installation keeps you and your family safe from insects that may bring diseases. It also allows your family to enjoy a cool breeze during hot summer days.
If you’re planning to have flyscreens installed in your home, your first question is “how much will flyscreen installation cost?”. The labour costs are almost the same for a fly screen replacement.
A flyscreen can cost you between $150 to $500. Flyscreen prices vary because there are several types of fly screens. The cost also varies depending on the quality of the flyscreen that you want to use.
Labour cost for installing a single flyscreen can cost between $90 to $150 depending on the area where you are located. Perth has the most affordable flyscreen installation cost.
If you live in Brisbane or Adelaide, expect to pay more for the labour cost of a flyscreen installation. It will cost you $140 and $150 respectively.
The costs quoted above are just estimates for a single-window replacement. If you need flyscreen installations for more than one window, each additional window will cost between $55 to $65.
Different Types of Flyscreens
When you call a contractor to replace or install a fly screen, one of the things that you need to know is the type of fly screen that you want to use.
If you want a flyscreen that stays fixed on the outside of your window frame, a standard flyscreen is what you’re looking for. You can also use it like a screen door. This is the most common style of flyscreen.
Although it is a permanent type of flyscreen, you can take it down if you need to clean or repair it. The frame comes in different colours so you can choose one that goes well with your door or window.
This is the most affordable type of flyscreen, which may cost around $100 only. Unfortunately, it is not suitable for all types of windows. You can only use them on windows that do not protrude when you open them, such as sliding windows.
Retractable flyscreens are those that you can pull down whenever you need them. This is ideal for those who only need a temporary fly screen.
The mesh part of the screen retracts inside housing so you cannot see them when they are not in use. Unlike others that need to be fully opened, you can open retractable flyscreens partially.
The material and installation of retractable flyscreens may cost around $500 – $3,200.
Magnetic flyscreens are just like standard flyscreens in the sense that they stay in place after installation. However, unlike standard flyscreens, they are easy to remove if you need to clean them.
Since they easily adhere to any metal surface, magnetic flyscreens are great as temporary fly screen replacements. You can simply pull them off once you have the permanent replacement ready for installation.
This is a great choice for those who frequently remove or partially open their flyscreens. You don’t need any tools to open a magnetic insect screen. This is a great choice if you want a sliding mosquito mesh.
There are DIY magnetic flyscreens that you can install yourself. These are usually available for only $50 or so.
Other Types of Flyscreens:
- Fixed Fly Screen – $300 – $500
- Hinged Fly Screen – $250 – $5,000
- Sliding Fly Screen – 300 – $5,000
Flyscreen Mesh and Frame
There are several different types of flyscreens, depending on the kind of screen frame materials used. Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Be sure to familiarize yourself with these different materials so you’ll have an idea of which type will work best for you.
Flyscreens Based on Material
- PVC-coated FibreGlass. The majority of the flyscreens that you will see use fibreglass. Some refer to this type as nylon mesh. This is a well-known flyscreen material because of its ability to resist corrosion.
- Corrosion is one of the disadvantages of living near seawater, and in these areas, people prefer to use corrosion-resistant materials. However, fibreglass is easier to stretch and tear compared to other flyscreen materials.
- AluminiumAluminium is another popular flyscreen material. It is durable and even stronger that fibreglass Just like fibreglass, it performs well in harsh weather conditions. The most common complaint about aluminium insect mesh is it is easy to dent. Dents can accumulate over time and will ruin the look of your aluminium insect screen frame. If you want to use an aluminium flyscreen but is wary of it being a dent-magnet, you can use heavy-duty aluminium framing. It is more expensive but will resist dents and last longer compared to regular aluminium.
- Stainless Steel. Stainless steel is a stronger material compared to aluminium. This flyscreen material ideal for those who live in bushfire-prone areas because stainless steel cannot catch fire. They are best for a patio door or a door replacement because the sturdiness of the material provides an additional layer of security. Because of its durability and fire-resistant properties, stainless steel flyscreens are expensive. However, stainless steel flyscreens can save you money in the long-run because they last longer compared to other types of flyscreens.
- Solar. Solar screens have dual purposes. Aside from protecting your family from flying insects, they provide shade while acting as a shield from the heat of the sun. This makes solar flyscreens ideal for areas near porches and verandahs.
- Pet Screen. Some flyscreens are suitable for pet screening. When making these screens, they use woven polyester with a UV coating. This combination makes it more than five times stronger than regular screens. Pet Screens are strong enough to stand against playful and sometimes destructive pets. With a pet screen, you have a screen that can resist scratches made by cats or bumps by playful dogs.
- Sandfly Screen. As its name implies, sandfly screens help protect your family from sandflies. Homeowners who live close to the beach prefer this kind of screen. Some caravan boats also use this flyscreen. Sandfly screens have smaller weaves compared to other insect screen doors. This will help keep midges out of your home. This is great for families who had to use mosquito nets as protection from insect bites.
Get Quotes from Flyscreen InstallerPost a job
How Much Does Flyscreen Replacement Cost?
Expect to pay around $55 to $65 for windows that need fly screen replacements. Below are the estimated prices for flyscreen replacements across Australia.
|City||Fly Screen Replacement Costs|
Other Factors that Affect the Cost of Flyscreen Installation Job
Flyscreen installation costs differ, and the difference in prices gets affected by several factors. The size of the area that needs installation will significantly affect the cost of installation.
Sometimes standard window screen frame sizes do not fit on the window that requires installation. This means that the contractor will need to customise flyscreens. Mesh door cost will be difficult to estimate because houses have different door sizes and the contractor needs to customise.
Your location can determine the cost to replace or install a flyscreen. A new window screen costs more in a metropolitan area compared to an area in the suburbs due to the difference in labour costs.
The urgency of a job also affects the cost of installation. The cost to replace sliding screen door within the day will be more significant compared to one scheduled in advance.
This is why it is always prudent to check your sliding mesh door, sliding screen door, or metal fly screen periodically. This will help prevent costly emergency installations.
Taking note of the state of your flyscreens like fly screen door, window net mesh screen, or sliding mosquito screen can help you initiate repairs before a damage is too great.
Contractors will also charge extra if there is hardware fixing required since most contracts are just for installation. This means that sliding fly screen doors prices will get more expensive if the door also requires repairs.
Get Quotes for Flyscreen Installation
If you’re looking for the best flyscreen installation expert near you, HIREtrades may be the right place to get started.
We understand that finding the right flyscreen installer can be challenging because of wide-ranging options. HIRETrades makes the process hassle-free by easily connecting you to the best contractors in the industry.
To start, you can post a job through HIREtrades, which will only take a few minutes. You can then ask for a quote for a full contract or a quote for installation and no hardware if you prefer to buy your own materials.
We are confident that you can find the right contractor you are looking for. Ask around for how much mosquito mesh for windows cost so you can compare them and be sure that you are getting competitively-priced services.
Receive up to 3 free quotesPost a job