The estimated cost for a kitchen renovation ranges from $10,000 to $45,000+.
However, prices vary based on individual requirements such as the quality of materials, fixtures and appliances used. For a small-sized kitchen makeover, expect to pay anywhere between $10,000 to $20,000.
It can be easy to renovate a kitchen without a clearly defined budget plan, can lead to increased costs exceeding your expectations. Usually, calculating your home’s resale value will help you determine the ideal amount to spend on kitchen improvement projects.
Many renovators advise homeowners to allot 15% of the total property cost for kitchen renovation services. It can be adjusted depending on your needs and preferences. To help maximise your investments, identify the areas that you need to prioritise.
The average costs of kitchen renovation by size are:
- $10,000 to $20,000 for small kitchens (less than 8m2)
- $15,000 to $30,000 for medium-sized kitchens (between 8m2 and 20m2)
- $30,000 to $45,000+ for large kitchens (more than 20m2)
There are also complications (e.g. site access, installation difficulties) to consider when working in tight kitchen spaces. These aspects will have an implication on your expenses.
How Do Kitchen Renovators Charge
Kitchen renovators typically charge by the hour for their professional service. Here are the average hourly costs of tradies in metropolitan cities across Australia:
- Electrician: $79 – $125 per hour
- Plumber: $78 – $125 per hour
- Carpenter/Joiner: $68 – $107 per hour
- Painter/Glazier: $68 – $107 per hour
- Cabinet maker: $50 – $75 per hour
- Tiler: $45 – $65 per hour
Usually, kitchen builders subcontract plumbers, electricians and flooring installers to work on major remodelling projects. Request for a written quotation to have an overview of the labour cost.
Some homeowners source individual tradies when structural alterations are not required. Basic kitchen renovations often require a few tradies such as carpenters, cabinet makers and painters to improve the kitchen’s aesthetic appeal.
Note: The majority of prices are based on Rawlinsons’ Australian Construction Handbook 2018, Edition 36.
Labour charges vary depending on your location and the Tradie’s level of experience. Always ask for itemised quotations including the expected cost for labour.
The Cost of Renovating a Kitchen
Deciding whether you are doing a small or mid-range kitchen renovation can help you define your requirements and calculate the cost. Here’s a simple guide from Homely to show how much of your budget should be used for each element of the project.
- Cabinetry (inc. hardware): 29%
- Installation costs: 17%
- Appliances and ventilation: 14%
- Benchtops: 10%
- Flooring: 7%
- Lighting: 5%
- Walls and ceilings: 5%
- Plumbing: 4%
- Doors and windows: 4%
- Design: 4%
- Other fees: 1%
The order of priority can be adjusted according to your needs and lifestyle.
- For storage solutions, the cost of installation can range from $100 to $300 (small to mid-range renovation) and $300 to $500 (major reno) per cabinet.
- If you are more interested in cooking or baking, then you might want to invest more in buying high-end stovetops and ovens. Premium installation costs may vary from $400 to $600+ per appliance.
- In terms of tile flooring, the price of materials and labour can be anywhere between $130 to $205 per square metre.
- Other kitchen features such as splashbacks are optional. The installation cost for this beautiful addition is around $400 to $700 per square metre.
Note: You can create a spreadsheet to better organise each item and keep track of your kitchen renovation expenses. Regularly update the list until the project has been actualised and completed.
What Determines the Cost of Kitchen Renovation Services
Whether you are looking to invest in a full-blown or cheap kitchen renovation, there are a number of factors to consider before the actual work.
1. Size of the kitchen
One of the largest defining factors influencing the cost is the kitchen size. Generally, revamping a small kitchen will cost less than remodelling a bigger area.
2. Materials and components
The quality of cabinetry, benchtops and appliances largely affect the cost of kitchen renovation. Buying and installing a new kitchen benchtop, for example, will cost you around $100 to $3,000 per square metre.
Adding new light fittings will also attract increased costs. Expect to pay around $15 to $300 for standard types of lighting that can be used in domestic kitchens. The cost of installation will depend on how long the job will take.
Hire Kitchen Renovators near you!Post a job
The more tradies involved, the higher the amount you need adding to expenses.
Cosmetic renovation includes refacing the cabinets, installing a splashback, refinishing old appliances and replacing hardware such as cabinet handles. This type of kitchen remodelling only needs a few tradies to handle the job.
Expect larger costs for projects requiring major structural amendments. Altering the existing kitchen layout often demands the expertise of builders, plumbers, electricians and flooring installers (or tilers).
Note: Replacing old fixtures can also have an impact on pricing. Clarify how much you will be charged for extra labour to help organise your finances. HIREtrades Australia’s directory of local kitchen builders can provide up to three free quotes.
How to Get Quotes from Kitchen Renovation Experts
When looking for a kitchen renovation contractor, make sure that you have clearly specified your project requirements. A kitchen builder performs initial visits to see the area to renovate and learn what design specifications you want to see.
- Ask for a written copy of quotations or estimates to allow you to compare prices and manage your expenses.
- Remember to verify their credentials and insurance. This will help protect your finances from unwanted accidents or property damage.
- You can also request to see photos of kitchen renovation projects they have recently accomplished.
That way, you can hire a kitchen renovator that fits not only your budget but also your design needs.
Receive up to 3 free quotesPost a job