To build a retaining wall, it can cost around $350/sq metre for quality retaining walls. But for simple retaining walls, it can cost around $140/sq metre.
Costs vary depending on the materials used, labour price and wall size. Additionally, here are the retaining wall costs in different areas per square metre:
Retaining Wall Cost per Square Metre
|City||Costs per square metre|
How Much Do Retaining Builders Charge?
Labour cost is one of the main factors that affect the price when you want to do a retaining wall project.
Complicated works such as putting decorative finishes and curves plus additional reinforcements add to the cost of hiring a retaining builder.
Hence, if you have a long retaining wall project, the costs will be significant to ensure that you will get a quality result.
Average cost for retaining wall builders
The average cost of retaining builders can cost around $350/sq metre in South Australia. On the other hand, residents living in Queensland charge around $250/sq metre.
Hire Retaining Wall Builder now!Post a job
Different Types of Retaining Walls
There are different types of retaining walls and they have advantages and disadvantages. Here are the most common retaining wall materials used on different projects:
- Concrete: these include poured concrete, concrete blocks, and concrete bricks. They are versatile materials and can last long.
- Timber: hardwood, railway sleepers and treated pine are commonly used. They are the cheapest option but tend to have a shorter life span.
- Natural stone: these are great materials for retaining walls. However, it can take a lot of time to finish because finding the perfect fit of stone boulders can be a bit difficult.
- Brick: this is a perennial favourite among retaining wall materials because it can also fit as a DIY project.
Among these materials, treated pine is cheaper than the rest. Natural stone and concrete can be expensive, but their durability makes up for their costs.
Retaining Wall Material Costs
|Material||Average Price Per Square Foot|
Cost for Concrete Retaining Walls
The estimated cost for concrete retaining wall depends on the type of concrete blocks and the size of your wall. Here are the average costs for labour and materials:
- $450-$700/sq metre if using reinforced concrete blocks
- $550-$750/sq metre if using concrete Besser blocks
When it comes to durability and strength, using concrete materials are highly recommended. Aside from its durability, it also adds appeal to your walls.
Cost for Stone Retaining Walls
Materials to be used for retaining walls are an important factor in building your walls. Stone retaining walls have different types and vary in costs:
- $300-$550/sq metre if using sandstone blocks
- $150-$250/sq metre if using stone veneers
While it can take longer to finish, using natural stones is arguably the most attractive option if you want a seamlessly beautiful landscape.
You can choose from a wide variety of stone types that will best suit your outdoor space.
Cost for Timber Retaining Walls
Timber retaining walls are commonly used materials because of its natural beauty and cheaper than other materials.
Here are the estimated costs for different types of timber materials:
- $250-$350/sq metre if using treated pine
- $300-$400/sq metre if using treated timber hardwood or sleepers
While timber can be attractive, they need to be treated for it to last long. Timber sleepers can last around 20 years but can eventually rot in the future.
Get Quotes from Retaining Wall BuilderPost a job
Other Factors that Affect the Cost of Retaining Wall Job?
Many factors can affect the cost of retaining wall projects. The length, height and design of the retaining wall can add to the cost including the type of materials used.
But aside from these common factors, there are other considerations:
- Intricate designs like curves and added features may take a while for the project to be completed. So be ready for additional costs to be incurred.
- Hiring a structural engineer will likely be required if your retaining wall project is over one metre depending on local regulatory requirements.
- Most Australian states require licensed retaining wall builders. Additionally, you may also need permits depending on the height and location of the retaining wall to be built.
- If there is already an existing landscape, assume that you will pay additional costs for the labourers to remove them.
- Labour costs on different areas vary depending on which state you live in and how long will the project last.
Furthermore, other questions are needed to be answered to be able to provide an accurate estimate. These questions may include the slope of the ground and soil composition or will it affect other areas in your home.
Get A Quote from Retaining Wall Expert
To get the best services from Retaining Wall Experts in your area HIREtrades can assist you in finding a tradie.
HIREtrades can help you connect to local tradies that can offer the retaining wall services.
You can download our HIREtrades app or visit www.hiretrades.com.au. Simply post a job you need to be done, we will help you get up to three free quotes. Start working on your retaining wall project now!
Receive up to 3 free quotesPost a job