Hiring the Best Locksmith
Knowing where to hire the best locksmiths in town is crucial during emergencies or whenever we need to change or install new locks.
According to a report by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) in 2019-20 recorded An estimated 1.9% of households (185,800) experienced an attempted break-in. This underscores the importance of an excellent home security system, and the most basic security that we can install in our homes are reliable locks.
In this article, we’re going to guide you on how you can ensure that you are hiring the best locksmith services in town so you can protect your family and your property.
Tips to Hire a Locksmith
Here are some helpful tips that you need to take note of when hiring a locksmith:
Tip 1: Choose a Certified Locksmith
A certified locksmith is someone who has undergone proper training in handling a lock system, car key replacement, lock repair, key cutting and other locksmith services.
According to the Locksmiths Guild of Australia, a locksmith needs to undergo an apprenticeship in a locksmith company and work under the supervision of expert locksmiths.
This is on-the-job training where they get exposed to real customers and scenarios they need to take care of.
This means that a certified locksmith has the proper training to take care of your situation if you need their services.
Tip 2: Choose a Licensed Locksmith
Although basic locksmith services like key cutting do not require a licensed locksmith, there are those that only a licensed locksmith can handle. A security license is a requirement in most
Australian states if a locksmith will work on access control, safes, or provide commercial locksmith services.
A Class 2 security provider license, on the other hand, is a requirement if a locksmith will install, maintain, or repair security systems such as:
- Monitoring systems
- Vaults and Safes
- Motions sensors
A license is a proof that the locksmith you are hiring has proper training to deliver these complex services.
Tip 3: Check for Insurance
When you call a locksmith, ask if they have insurance coverage because this will reassure you that the tradie can handle the repair or replacement of any item if it gets damaged while the locksmith is working.
Tip 4: Hire a Specialised locksmith
Just like doctors, locksmiths have areas of expertise, which is why you want to call a locksmith who is an expert in the area that you need help with. You won’t call a keyless entry remotes expert if you need help with a car lockout the same way that you won’t seek medical help from an eye surgeon for a fracture.
Hire a local tradie
What Do Locksmiths Do?
Although we have an image that locksmiths just deal with door locks and keys, locksmiths are security professionals that work on various security devices not just in residences but in commercial and government buildings as well.
Here are some areas that locksmiths work on:
- Key cutting – A locksmith is a key maker, you can call a locksmith if you need duplicate keys. Although most locksmiths key residential locks, an automotive locksmith can help you duplicate your car key.
- A locksmith can also rekey a lock. Rekeying is when you want to use your old lock but with a new key. You can call an auto locksmith if you need to rekey automotive locks.
- Lockouts – A locksmith can help pop a lock if you get locked out of your house or your car because they got trained in bypassing a locking mechanism.
- Master Keys – A locksmith can provide you with a master key if you have several properties, and want to reduce the number of keys that you have.
- Safes – Locksmiths can assist if you get locked out of your safe.
- Supplying and Installing Locks – A locksmith can recommend, supply, and install locks for you if you are unsure what type of locks you need for your home.
- Electronic Locks – Locksmiths assist clients who want electronic locks instead of traditional ones. You may need to clarify with a locksmith the type of keys, and remote system that you have to ensure that your locksmith is knowledgeable with your home security system.
- Emergency Services – Locksmiths provide help with emergencies such as getting locked out of your house or car. Emergency services are more expensive than scheduled locksmith services.
Get Quotes from the Best Locksmith
If you need the services of the best locksmiths, head to HIREtrades’ website or download the HIREtrades app. You can post a job so you can get quotes from local locksmiths.
This is an excellent way of determining the cost to hire a locksmith in your area. You can compare the prices of several expert locksmiths so you can go with the most affordable one.
You can also look up the locksmith or locksmith company that sent you a quote so you can verify their expertise and their reputation. This can help you decide which locksmith services to avail of.
The next time that you need an expert locksmith to work on locks, safes, or auto security, be sure to use HIREtrades to get the best and most affordable locksmith services in town.