Where do you need a Timber Flooring Installer?
Waiting to confirm your location...
The Best Timber Flooring Service Near You
Timber flooring is one of the best ways to reinvent your home. It gives a natural warm vibe and it offers different colours. However, looking for a contractor to work on your timber flooring installation may be tricky.
So before you install timber wood on your floor, check out if they have the following qualities.
Look for a business that is a proven performer in the industry. The best value may not necessarily come from the lowest price.
If prices are too low you need to consider risks with such as they may offer a lesser product or workmanship - delivering to a price and not to quality standard that you may expect.
This does not only mean that they have the necessary equipment to get the job done. You must also make sure that they have the proper training and licenses to ensure that your money will be wisely invested.
For example, installing wood like tiles requires techniques that can only be learned through proper training. Their attention to detail is also needed to ensure that your instructions are executed properly.
- Positive Customer Feedback
The feedback of previous customers is often the best reflection of a business. This way, you can give guidance that they have the requisite skill and experience to fulfil your wood flooring needs.
Different Types of Timber Floors For Your Home
Timber flooring gives you the freedom to choose the shade and pattern to suit your house's style and design flair.
With numerous types of wooden flooring, it can be daunting choosing which one will not only add aesthetically to your home but also has the longevity required, within your budget.
Below is a guide on wooden flooring types to help you decide what the perfect floor timber for your home is.
Laminate flooring is a compressed fibreboard plank topped with an image of wood along with a protective overlay. This is best installed in an area where there is high foot traffic, and it is able to withstand frequent cleaning
- Cost efficient
- Various designs available
- Difficult to fix
- Moisture can destroy a laminate flooring
Engineered flooring are constructed from multiple "sheets" of thin hardwood that are layered on top of one another.
Some engineered timber flooring is available with a ‘click and lock’ feature making it easy to install. However, a tongue and groove version will require an adhesive to the joints.
- More solid compare than other wood types
- Scratch resistant
- Not easily affected by room temperature
- More pleasing to the eyes compared to laminate flooring
- Lower cost
- Tongue and groove engineered timber flooring can be difficult to install
- More expensive than laminate flooring
Solid Wood Flooring
There are different types of solid wood flooring and each one has their hardness score which tells they will wear as well as their longevity. It can be used as a flooring solution to your entire home.
- Classic timeless design
- Adds value to your home for future resale
- Prone to water damage
- Difficult and labour-intensive to install
- Can be more expensive compared to all other wood flooring types
- Amplifies or increases sound
Reclaimed Wood Flooring
Reclaimed wood flooring is recycled timber from an old property. It can also be used anywhere around the house.
- Environment friendly
- Give a vintage feel which adds to the personality of your house
- Can be repainted or stained with any colour
- Cost more than new floorboards
- At risk of woodworms as it may not be treated
Parquet is a geometric mosaic of wood pieces used for decorative effect in flooring. Parquet patterns are often entirely geometrical and angular squares, triangles or diamonds — but may contain curves.
The most popular parquet flooring pattern is herringbone.
- Creates interesting patterns
- Durable and can be installed where there is high foot traffic
- Complex to install
- Can fade when exposed to sunlight
- Prone to water damage
Bamboo flooring has a chic, exotic look but is still relatively inexpensive, which makes it a highly appealing flooring option for many. It is more water resistant than hardwood but should not be used in bathrooms.
- Eco friendly
- Easy to clean
- Does not collect dusts and pollen
- Water resistant
- The adhesive used, formaldehyde, may be harmful to one’s health
- Easily scratched
- Dark bamboo flooring is more prone to damage
Wood Effect Tiles
These are concrete wood looking tiles. It can either be a ceramic tile or porcelain tile which means it can be installed even in bathrooms since it is water resistant.
- Easy to install
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Long lifespan
- Available in different colours and styles
- Easy to replace when damaged
- Can be cold without underfloor heating
- Amplifies or increases sound
- Requires grout which may trap dust and dirt
Cork flooring is made from the bark of an oak tree. It is compressed and formed into sheets bonded with resins. Due to its softness, it is ideally used in children’s bedrooms and playrooms.
- Good for insulation
- Minimise noise
- Does not absorb dust and mites
- Shock absorbent
- Biodegradable and eco-friendly
- Has a shorter lifespan compared to hardwood flooring
- Susceptible to damage caused by furniture
Cost of Timber Flooring Installation Jobs
Timber flooring installation will vary depending on the size, type and quality of timber flooring that you will use.
HIREtrades cost guides can assist with budgeting timber flooring installation costs.
Timber grade groups timber woods based on appearance, structure and properties. Generally, the higher the timber grade, the more durable it is.
A low timber grade material costs around $40 per m2. Mid grades are between $50 and $70 per m2Your timber flooring installation expert can help you resolve which type of wood flooring best suits your home.
Style and Type
Laminated flooring is one of the cheapest types of timber wood floor however; it may not be easy to repair if damaged.
Before the timber flooring is installed, your floor installer may need to prepare the floor first. They have to make sure that the sub floor is compatible with the chosen wood flooring. Leaving the sub floor damp or uneven may cause the material to break or swell.
To find local tradies to quote and advise you just post a job on HIREtrades and you can expect to get up to 3 timber flooring installation contractors to provide quotes for your work.