It’s true that plumbing is a basic necessity in any home or place of business. Whether you’re building a new house or putting up a commercial structure, it is one of the most significant fixtures that shouldn’t be left out from the list.
What is plumbing?
Plumbing, in its simplest definition, is a system of pipes or conduits used to carry water from its source to the desired destination. It is beneficial in terms of cooling or heating certain amounts of fluid to provide the necessary comfort expected by house or building occupants.
The concept of plumbing came from the influence of Rome and was derived from a Latin word plumbum, which means lead. In those ancient years, lead was used mainly for water supply systems because of its adaptability to any shape. However, at present, materials such as metal, steel and plastic are often used in production.
Different Types of Plumbing Services
Plumbing fixtures such as pipes, gutters and other equipment are installed, repaired and maintained to ensure the overall convenience in one’s home or place or business. Here are a few areas to take note:
- Water supply: A very common plumbing task that deals with water taps, pipes and irrigation. Plumbers who specialise in water system installations (hot and cold water) are adept at constructing, repairing, replacing and maintaining the overall system.
- Drainage: Work that involves laying and securing storm-water that carries many pollutants and other debris. Installation of sewage pipes and treatment systems will not be a burden for plumbers focusing on drainage systems.
- Irrigation: Deals with valve devices that help control the flow of fluid from its source down to its end zone. It provides support to plants’ growth and usually benefits wide garden spaces.
- Gas fitting: Refers to anything that involves the use of pipes, flues and a control system to supply gas.
- Sanitary: One of the most essential objectives of plumbing is sanitation. This plumbing type involves installing sinks in the kitchen, bathroom and laundry area. Toilet installation is also a common plumbing work that falls under this service.
Whether the purpose is directed to providing ample water supply or maintaining the sanitation within a building, plumbers do all the work with a high degree of care and safety.
What kind of plumber do you need?
It’s not enough to know the answer behind the question ‘what is plumbing?’. Getting yourself familiarised with different kinds of plumbers that you can hire is important. However, not all plumbers can initiate a specific plumbing work or address every issue that you may have.
- Water supply plumbers know the process of installation, maintenance and repairs when it comes to faucets, sinks and garden irrigation.
- Drainage plumbers are responsible for digging trenches to initiate installation and check for possible underground repairs. They can analyse the issue and prepare any design procedure to identify a treatment strategy that helps in resolving the problem.
- Gas fitting plumbers have the knowledge and skills to perform installation tasks involving hot water units and cook-tops such as stoves.
- Sanitary plumbers specialise in sanitary fixture installation and repairs. Connecting waste pipes to the corresponding fixtures also describe their expertise.
HIREtrades is a one-stop online marketplace for connecting consumers and businesses, covering 200+ trades and serving all states across Australia. Visit our dedicated Plumbers page or Get A Quote by filling out our quick and easy form.
Receive up to 3 free quotesPost a job